Posts made by Craig Ahern

Page: ()   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ()
Picture of Craig Ahern
EDUC 760 901 FA 12 -> Red Group Discussion Topics -> Reflecting on our course -> Blackboard Experience is Important for Higher Education; Not for Public Schools
by Craig Ahern - Sunday, October 14, 2012, 2:35 AM

Carol,

Employable in higher education is determined by convincing deans at the colleges that you have the job skills. If there are openings the deans can not fill, then they might give you an opportunity. If there are openings the deans can manage then they will go with those candidates who can demonstrate they have experience with Blackboard.

Will these skills transfer is determined by your ability to learn from similar situations and apply those skills in a new learning management program. Experience with Desire 2L and Moodle certainly couldn't hurt but Blackboard certainly is not the same. Getting hired is determined by having a strong resume and prior experience with Blackboard learning management systems.

Here is Blackboard Tutorial for Kent State Universities. Although this is unique to Kent State University, it might help you some seeing how they subscribe to Blackboard. I think it is a more simplistic version than what the Blackboard is capable of performing. Just remember, the University gets what it pays and nothing more.

For more information on Kent State University Blackboard

U.W. Stout will provide me with the online certification for a K-12 public school.

Picture of Craig Ahern
EDUC 760 901 FA 12 -> The Kitchen -> Time to Play; Lets Combine Blooms Taxonomy and Web 2.0 -> Re: Time to Play Like a Child
by Craig Ahern - Saturday, October 13, 2012, 9:35 AM

Carol,

It is fun to play with this visual representation!

Sincerely,

Craig Ahern

Picture of Craig Ahern
EDUC 760 901 FA 12 -> Yellow Group Discussion Topics -> Preparing Students for the Global Knowledge Economy -> UNder Vraig Ahern's Blog exists a Moodle Treasure!
by Craig Ahern - Saturday, October 13, 2012, 9:32 AM

Naomi,

Thanks. Under the Blog section of my name I placed a visual map of the directions of Moodle. I think the visual model will be helpful in this week four lesson. Check it out. If you would like me to post it here as well, let me know.

Sincerely,

Craig Ahern

Picture of Craig Ahern
EDUC 760 901 FA 12 -> Red Group Discussion Topics -> Reflecting on our course -> Blackboard is called the McDonalds of Online Learning
by Craig Ahern - Saturday, October 13, 2012, 2:27 AM

Blackboard is tailored to each University uniquely. This is why it is called the McDonald's of online learning. This gives it almost a monopoly in higher education. Desire 2L and Moodle are used in the K-12 institutions. To teach at a University you will need to go through the Universities version of what we are doing at U.W. Stout except through Blackboard. To answer your question about the similarities between what we are learning and what is required at the university is to inform you that they are both one line learning management systems.

Just because you learn Blackboard at one University does not mean you can go in and teach Blackboard at another University, Each University has its own unique version for Blackboard. You will also have to decide whether you want to blend your instruction with Face to Face instruction some weeks or teach your class entirely online.

Each University is different in terms of what I can teach. As long as I am successful with the students through their evaluations I am fine teaching whatever subject I am asked to teach. The requirement is usually dependent on the individual deans discretion. Whereas public schools I am required to be certified. Universities are not required to follow these guidelines and spend most of their time on maintaining accreditation for FAFSA.

I have taught online classes in just about every college in the Universities. Some colleges consider me a knowledgeable instructor in one field whereas other colleges in the university do not. Rules normally change quickly in higher education and you have to sell yourself. I have taught Psychopathology, Biology, Statistics, Psychology, Counseling, Research, Program Evaluation, Senior Seminar, Neurology, Gerontology, Physiology, Anatomy, Nursing, and Education classes.

I have taught at the Elementary and the Secondary level in the public school. I am certified throughout the K-12 system in Science and Mathematics.

Shorter units would facilitate learning better.This is determined by how many weeks I decide I want my course to last. A credit class can occur in four weeks, eight weeks or sixteen weeks depending on how many credits it is worth. I have total discretion on this and usually it becomes less clear when instruction occurs online than when it occurs Face to Face. Again it is determined by what I am willing to sell my services as a instructor. I can also determine how many students I want in my class. The pay will vary depending on what I negotiate. Usually I want to keep my classes small when I am learning a new version of Blackboard since it is time consuming. The Registrar Office controls the numbers based upon what i negotiate with the University.

PasswordBox

is connecting you automatically

PasswordBox

PasswordBox

PasswordBox

PasswordBox

Picture of Craig Ahern
EDUC 760 901 FA 12 -> Red Group Discussion Topics -> questioning in the on-line environment -> Learning Styles A.K.A. Multiple Intelligence: You Decide
by Craig Ahern - Saturday, October 13, 2012, 12:55 AM

Sue,

I found the type of logic appealed to reasoning was dependent on their personalities and not their learning styles. Learning styles are preferences or aptitudes and are not linked to intelligence. Learning styles can not be tested with a hypothesis since they are preferences chosen by the learner. Furthermore there are no standardized test to measure these constructs. This is despite the argument from Howard Gardner (1992)) postulated that neurological activity in the different regions of the brain can be a substitute for intelligence in his syllogism. The common denominator which Howard Gardner flees to in his logic is the medical profession. Since we are to believe an M.D. we are to believe him (Appeal to ethos)

Research now done by Robert Sternberg (1976) is being called into questioned today by Glen (2012). Sternberg originated learning styles and was later postulated as multiple intelligences by Howard Gardner. Like all researchers who give birth to a concept, they are protective of our ideas because of the amount of time they spend in the educational laboratory. Sternberg counter argues the internal validity of the research methodology. You decide whether to throw the baby out with the bath water.

For more information on this research article by Glen

For more information about Robert Sternberg

For more information on Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences

Sincerely,

Craig Ahern

PasswordBox

PasswordBox

PasswordBox

Page: ()   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ()