Posts made by Jennifer Six-Reul

Page: ()   1  2  3  ()
Picture of Jennifer Six-Reul
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Post Discussion Topics Here -> Bloom's Taxonomy and Online Discussion -> Re: Bloom's Taxonomy and Online Discussion
by Jennifer Six-Reul - Saturday, January 23, 2016, 3:15 PM

Mike,

In my prompt, I am asking the learners (using the verbs describe and explain)  to consider what they are learning in this module along with prior experience, and then compare,and finally bring it back  to their particular teaching area.  I see these are an evaluative / judgement tasks, falling at the second highest level of Bloom’s taxonomy.

Jennie, Norwalk CT

E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Post Discussion Topics Here -> Keeping some tradition when using technology: -> Re: Digital Spelunkers
by Jennifer Six-Reul - Friday, January 22, 2016, 5:41 PM

Marni,

You bring up a good point that age is a factor.  I tend to think about college students and when considering high schoolers, it takes a very self-directed and mature student to learn online exclusively.  

I think we are going to be on the edge of the storm and only get a few inches.  I'm more concerned about high winds, because that's when the power lines come down here in CT, and we do not have a generator.  Then it's off to the YMCA for hot showers and the town library for device charging!  It happens here every winter, it seems.

Jennie

E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Post Discussion Topics Here -> MOOCs, online education gone too far? -> Re: MOOCs: Let's not rule them out too soon
by Jennifer Six-Reul - Friday, January 22, 2016, 8:54 AM

I don't know a lot about it but hope to learn more -- very exciting!

Jennie

E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Post Discussion Topics Here -> Keeping some tradition when using technology: -> Digital Spelunkers
by Jennifer Six-Reul - Friday, January 22, 2016, 8:31 AM

Marni,

Yes, I do think that technology is a suitable replacement for human contact, depending on the individual and the circumstance.  There is much debate about the loss of human interaction as it relates to distance learning vs. traditional classroom, and more broadly in our society, digital vs. face-to-face interaction.  Direct human interaction, influenced by non-verbal cues and other factors, can be a rich and engaging way to learn and share information, ideas, and emotions.  Humans need it to survive.  However, is it necessarily better for learning?   Better for whom?  

Since the time of literal cave-dwellers,, there have been individuals and groups who were favored in the face-to-face realm, for a variety of reasons, and others who were not. They didn’t have a lot of options.  Now, with digital caves and campfires, people have options. Never before has the playing field been more level.  And I think this a good thing!

Jennie, Norwalk CT

E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Post Discussion Topics Here -> Moodle vs. D2L for Building Community through Discussions -> Re: Platform versus people
by Jennifer Six-Reul - Thursday, January 21, 2016, 4:56 PM

Jessica,

I agree that it is people who drive the platform.   It is incumbent upon the facilitator to make sure the student has the tool box to proceed through the class, and to remove barriers to learning.  For Moodle or any other platform, I think it's a great idea to provide a tutorial on the platform and  (as UW Stout does with new D2L users) then some practice or ice-breaker activities using it.  Hopefully this works out the kinks and any user problems are identified before the class begins.  However, if the (distance) student is still struggling, I would then utilize a screencast tool to make a video to address their specific problem within the class I had set up.  I would also extend deadlines if necessary to reduce the pressure while helping the student navigate through the platform.  

Of course, in a blended scenario, it would be nicer to invite the student in and work through the platform in person!

Jennie, Norwalk CT

Page: ()   1  2  3  ()
Skip Navigation

Navigation