Dennis O'Connor
Netiquette Norms
by Dennis OConnor - Sunday, October 7, 2012, 5:52 PM

netiquette

Special thanks to Maggie for compiling our work from Module 2. 

These are the netiquette suggestions from last week's discussion. If we missed any please let us know by email and we'll add them in:

Class Netiquette:

· Post early in the week. You'll get more responses and become more engaged in conversation.

· Keep posts, personal, local and immediate.

· Pay close attention to your wording when writing and remain concise and to the point.

· Post comments and/or information that focuses only on the topic/discussion being discussed.

· Be mindful of others time and summarize your findings for your audience so as to save them reading time.

· Summarize or quote a phrase, or brief section of the previous post when replying.

· Use abbreviations sparingly and properly. 

· When abbreviating a term, use the full term the first time you use it, followed immediately by the abbreviation in parentheses.

· Ask for clarification to avoid misinterpreting the intent of a message due to the lack of non-verbal cues.

· Utilize emoticons to help convey tone or emotions.

· Respond respectfully and professionally-remember that the goal is not to agree; it is about hearing and exploring different perspectives.

· To disagree, support your personal view with research and/or specific experience.

· Address all conflicts to the person(s) involved in a respectful manner. 

· Listen, discuss and reflect to find uniformly beneficial solutions to create the best circumstance for everyone.

· If you are upset in some way about another person's post, then back up, think twice, give the person the benefit of the doubt, and don't jump to conclusions about what they are actually saying.

· In order to stay positive and to the point, try using a sentence starter such as:

o Rebecca's comment made me think about...

o I respectfully disagree with Larry's assertion that...

o I had never thought about Lee's insight into...

o Thank you Maria for sharing...

o Great point John! Have you considered...

· To encourage a wider perspective on the topic, ask questions to gain understanding of this differing view. 

Picture of Suzan Hebson
Re: Netiquette Norms
by Suzan Hebson - Sunday, October 7, 2012, 7:43 PM

Maggie

Thank you very much for pulling this information together for us. As I look at it, I think it is a really good list. Thanks to all for establishing norms that will lead us to trust and learn from one another.

Sue

Picture of Maggie Rouman
Great guideposts!
by Maggie Rouman - Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 9:04 AM

The netiquette ground rules that everyone came up with will serve as great guideposts for our course. I enjoyed putting the list together! We can always add to the list.smile

Maggie (enjoying a sunny but cool morning in Chicago)