Posts made by Jef Halverson

Page:  1  2  3  4  ()
Picture of Jef Halverson
E-Learning For Educators-FA12-903C-3636 -> Green Group Discussion Topics -> M3 Discussion Forum: Tone in Text -> Re: M3 Discussion Forum: Tone in Text
by Jef Halverson - Saturday, October 20, 2012, 11:34 PM

I agree that if you are able to get a prespective from another of your writing that it is a great filter. The other person might better judge tone and understanding better than the one who constructed it.

Jef @ WI

Picture of Jef Halverson
E-Learning For Educators-FA12-903C-3636 -> Green Group Discussion Topics -> Campfires, Watering Holes and Caves -> Re: Campfires, Watering Holes and Caves
by Jef Halverson - Saturday, October 20, 2012, 11:29 PM

Mark,

I agree with you that story telling in the classroom is enjoyabe for the students and instructor. I worked for thirteen years as a government tax auditor and so I had a mine full of great stories to relate when I taught taxes, auditing, and accounting in the classroom. I wish that it transferred better online. Online I don't want to focus the class on myself. Thanks.

Jef @ WI

Picture of Jef Halverson
E-Learning For Educators-FA12-903C-3636 -> Green Group Discussion Topics -> Campfires, Watering Holes and Caves -> Re: Campfires, Watering Holes and Caves
by Jef Halverson - Saturday, October 20, 2012, 11:24 PM

Mark - I'm chuckling at your second sentence but was taken aback at first with the first.

Jef @ WI

Picture of Jef Halverson
E-Learning For Educators-FA12-903C-3636 -> Green Group Discussion Topics -> Strategies for Facilitating Critical Thinking -> Re: Strategies for Facilitating Critical Thinking
by Jef Halverson - Saturday, October 20, 2012, 11:22 PM

Annie Mae,

I will respond to your second point regarding what assumptions are held about teaching critical thinking in the classroom. From my stand point as an accounting instructor I find it difficult to incorporate this into much of my curriculum, so I do not have a very positive attitude towards it. The push for teaching critical thinking is strong and as a general idea I agree that it is important. I find it hard though in a subject area where most of the content is teaching set rules that do not allow for deviation in application. I have incorporated critical thinking dvelopment skills to some degree, but at this point it is a struggle. I wonder if others have been more successful with similiar types of subject matter.

Jef @ WI

Picture of Jef Halverson
E-Learning For Educators-FA12-903C-3636 -> Green Group Discussion Topics -> Use of humorous tone in an online course -> Re: Use of humorous tone in an online course
by Jef Halverson - Saturday, October 20, 2012, 11:12 PM

Annie Mae,

I think that you hit it on point when you mentioned creating an online personality. My experience is that this comes naturally in the classroom. I think that it is something that we need to be conscious of and work towards to establish online. Thank you.

Jef @ WI

Page:  1  2  3  4  ()