Discussions started by Dann Hurlbert

Dann Hurlbert
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Jennie's Quiz
by Dann Hurlbert - Friday, January 29, 2016, 6:04 AM

Hey Jennie, the quiz worked well.  Thanks for pulling in an outside resource!  ProProfs seems like a good alternative!  It looked like a free version (ads)--were there any limitations using the free version?

After I was done with the quiz, I was unable to go "back" to Moodle.  I had to navigate back to the course/moodle.  Are we able to set up quizzes and links  so that it opens in a new tab, or when you created the link to ProProfs, did it have to open in the same window? (Some folks may prefer to not have new tabs open all the time...)

I enjoyed the quiz!

Dann Hurlbert
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Mike's Survey
by Dann Hurlbert - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 6:09 AM

Hey Mike, the survey worked well.  Adding the reading link within the survey helps keep the students focused, too, so they aren't bouncing around trying to find things.  The one part that I found confusing (though it could just be me) was that there were three questions and only an opportunity to propose one answer.  I was unsure which question the answers applied to.

Peace out,

dann

Dann Hurlbert
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Heather's Survey
by Dann Hurlbert - Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 6:39 AM

Heather, the structure of your survey worked well.  You were able to provide links to resources . . . and get an idea of when your students preferred to work.  Having gathered that information, how might you use it for an online course?

Dann Hurlbert
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Post Discussion Topics Here -> The Value of Vulnerability
by Dann Hurlbert - Sunday, January 17, 2016, 7:44 AM

Hi Heather, Jenn R., John, and Tony!

Glad to be bouncing posts and responses around with you this week!

During my first year or two of teaching, my wife gave me a small note about the importance of vulnerability in the classroom (likely after one of my projects bombed).  I've come across similar references to openness and vulnerability ever since--including in this week's readings.

We know that, to be effective, an instructor needs be skilled in a variety of instructional methods.  Stephen Brookfield writes in his book Developing Critical Thinkers that an instructor should also “be skeptical enough of the value of these [tools] to be able to abandon them when it seems appropriate” (88).  Why is that kind of vulnerability essential in the classroom?  How might it benefit the learner?

I look forward to your insight!

--dann

Skip Navigation

Navigation