Discussions started by Heather Spiva

Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Jennifer's Genius Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 10:17 PM

Jenn,

Great survey. And great article! I bookmarked it, actually.

This "chunking" concept is much like writing text, i.e books, articles, etc. To much on the page, not enough smaller paragraphs, and it becomes very difficult to take in and keep the information one is reading. The last thing you want is your reader overwhelmed or frustrated at the text!

Thanks for this valuable information!

-Heather

Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Dann's Dynamo Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 10:04 PM

Dann,

Your survey was pretty much the bomb. (I know, I know. Less slang.)

But it was. Great article, very in depth (I skimmed most of it which would explain why I bombed the survey (obviously, a different kind of bomb).

But, your survey was great, too. And as Jennifer noted, you can't go wrong with humor. Loved it. (That was probably the only question I got right ... I think.)

You wrote the survey like the pro you are. I can definitely learn from you!

-Heather

Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Mike's Super Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 9:59 PM

Mike,

Great post. Loved the article too-- all great material for learning how to facilitate effective online discussions.

I love "connect," and realize this is basically a life value we can add to any and all situations. But, I also really like "extend" and this probably has to do with my Literature background. 

It's easy to assume an answer to a question, or to give a general and vague response to an idea discussed. But, by taking the question or taking the idea and changing the angle to other points of view (in Lit, this would be like taking a particular scene from a story but trying to interpret it from a different character's POV), you're getting a whole new look at the thing.

"Extend" gives more story. It gives more explanation and dialogue which in turn, actually "connects" the students as well.

-Heather

Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Post Discussion Topics Here -> Voice: Learning to Use the Right One
by Heather Spiva - Monday, January 18, 2016, 3:18 PM

Hey everyone! Nice to be working in an intimate group. Hope your weekend (perhaps a three day weekend for you) went well!

One of the articles we were required to read this week, from Facilitating Online Learning by George Collison, discussed our "voice" and basically went over six different voices, which are: Generative Guide, Conceptual Facilitator, Reflective Guide, Personal Muse, Mediator, and Role Play.

All of these voices have a place within the dialogue of the online learners and teacheres. As teachers, we will have to redirect the route the conversation has taken. Or sometimes, we may need to intervene when "issues" arrise in order to alleviate discord.

Humor has its place. And though I'm not a comedian by any means, I know humor difusses a great deal of problems that could arise from unintended offenses or to correcting a train of thought, or addressing a bias. But, humor is difficult to sprinkle on the online conversation because it can come across as rude or insensitive. Maybe even inapropriate. But mixing humor with encouragement is key. Being a reflective guide may be necessary. Or even a mediator if conversations turn sour.

How do we, as teachers, learn to use which voice? While I'm going about getting my teaching degrees somewhat backwards (getting my online certificate first to one day traditional in-class teaching) most of you have all had in classroom teaching first and are now going to online teaching.

Discussion question: How will you know what voice to use when a specific voice is needed? I realize this "understanding" comes with time and experience, and it's an aquired skill. Empathy, sympathy, throwing out biases and listening for subtle nuances is all necessary. And finding the right balance comes with practice.

Please provide an example in your experience when a specific voice diffused a situation or perhaps when you chose the wrong voice and created havoc!

We're all learning in this together! (Especially me.)

Skip Navigation

Navigation