Posts made by Heather Spiva

Page:  1  2  3  ()
Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Heather's Survey -> Re: Great Ice Breaker
by Heather Spiva - Friday, January 29, 2016, 1:56 PM

You can totally steal this!! Please do. :)

I'm the opposite. Don't mind evenings, but if it requires thinking of ANY kind, I'm out. Suppose that doesn't make me an evening person then. Ha.

Thank you!

-Heather

Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Jennifer's Genius Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 10:17 PM

Jenn,

Great survey. And great article! I bookmarked it, actually.

This "chunking" concept is much like writing text, i.e books, articles, etc. To much on the page, not enough smaller paragraphs, and it becomes very difficult to take in and keep the information one is reading. The last thing you want is your reader overwhelmed or frustrated at the text!

Thanks for this valuable information!

-Heather

Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Dann's Dynamo Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 10:04 PM

Dann,

Your survey was pretty much the bomb. (I know, I know. Less slang.)

But it was. Great article, very in depth (I skimmed most of it which would explain why I bombed the survey (obviously, a different kind of bomb).

But, your survey was great, too. And as Jennifer noted, you can't go wrong with humor. Loved it. (That was probably the only question I got right ... I think.)

You wrote the survey like the pro you are. I can definitely learn from you!

-Heather

Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Heather's Survey -> Re: Heather's Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 10:00 PM

Hi Dann,

Good question. I wasn't really able to go into detail in the description of my choice poll, but I think time of day and one's alertness (and personality) all blend together (along with the four elements that go into making one's online learning optimal) to make the most of ones studies.

By knowing your best time of day for learning and utilizing this information, it would make for a fantastic ice breaker, in beginning a class (bonus) but it would also be something to reinforce to the students as a key piece to making sure every student performs their best.

By knowing your best time of day to study or work or do homework, whether distracted or not, or whether or not you're checking your mail every day, etc. your best "time" will result in your best work, which equals successful learning.

Oh and the choices were a bit tongue-in-cheek. Obviously. Wanted to lighten up the survey which can seem a bit stark.

-Heather

Picture of Heather Spiva
E-For-Ed - Jan 2016 -> Peer Review of surveys and quizzes -> Mike's Super Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 9:59 PM

Mike,

Great post. Loved the article too-- all great material for learning how to facilitate effective online discussions.

I love "connect," and realize this is basically a life value we can add to any and all situations. But, I also really like "extend" and this probably has to do with my Literature background. 

It's easy to assume an answer to a question, or to give a general and vague response to an idea discussed. But, by taking the question or taking the idea and changing the angle to other points of view (in Lit, this would be like taking a particular scene from a story but trying to interpret it from a different character's POV), you're getting a whole new look at the thing.

"Extend" gives more story. It gives more explanation and dialogue which in turn, actually "connects" the students as well.

-Heather

Page:  1  2  3  ()
Skip Navigation

Navigation