Posts made by Judith Wisniewski

Page:  1  2  3  ()
Picture of Judith Wisniewski
EDUC 760 933 March 4 - April 26, 2013 Instructor: Jim Erbe -> Blue Group Discussion Topics -> Applying Differentiated Learning Strategies Online -> Re: Applying Differentiated Learning Strategies Online
by Judith Wisniewski - Saturday, March 23, 2013, 9:10 PM

Sally,

Thank you for your insights.

I do not think it was a matter of getting too personal. The students had a choice of questions (dictated by the Dept.) to answer, and they had more to do with applying the unit's material to a scenario than anything else.

Knowing about this particular school and population, I would guess that it was more of a time management issue.

Regarding an anonymous survey, in this (college) system, that was all handled at the dept., program, college and system level. It was a bit disconcerting that this was out of the instructor's hands, but it was.

Judi in Charleston, SC

EDUC 760 933 March 4 - April 26, 2013 Instructor: Jim Erbe -> Blue Group Discussion Topics -> Educating the Net Generation -> Re: Educating the Net Generation
by Judith Wisniewski - Saturday, March 23, 2013, 9:05 PM

Vicki:

Well, yes, the students did learn the material. I was the Dept. Head at the time, so I was keeping tabs. Another advantage was that they had the lecture "canned" for replay, which they did.

I pulled this instructor aside to speak with him about this. He told me that this was how his wife and her colleagues, who taught math, were organizing their classrooms. I guess when I think about it, this is the "flipped classroom" idea.

I have since repeated this story to one of my animation instructors when I moved to another school. He teaches very complex software. It worked great for him also.

I'm an old dog and I am still having trouble with the order of things!

Judi in Charleston, SC

EDUC 760 933 March 4 - April 26, 2013 Instructor: Jim Erbe -> Blue Group Discussion Topics -> Improving Discussion Participation with Web 2.0 Tools -> Re: Improving Discussion Participation with Web 2.0 Tools
by Judith Wisniewski - Saturday, March 23, 2013, 8:58 PM

Vicki:

Hmmm. I thought I responded yesterday, but maybe not. Thank you for the kind words. This was a course that I taught 5 years ago or so. I enjoy the material. Sometimes it is disconcerting to put many video critiques out there and not have the sort of direct response that you would get in a face to face class. 

You also get to be more succinct (ums or no ums), when you need to do 30+ videos in one evening.

Thanks for your interest.

Judi in Charleston, SC

EDUC 760 933 March 4 - April 26, 2013 Instructor: Jim Erbe -> Blue Group Discussion Topics -> Improving Discussion Participation with Web 2.0 Tools -> Re: Improving Discussion Participation with Web 2.0 Tools
by Judith Wisniewski - Saturday, March 23, 2013, 8:53 PM

Hi Sally: Thank you for your response. I like the idea of close ups, which were not integrated into the critique example. I think that those could easily be added in real time on-screen with key commands.

The scenario as given in the prompt "really happened" and the lectures, readings, and rubrics were "set" by the school; no changed allowed.

There was no gallery function in this particular LMS, so any intro or critique had to be a video link or an attached file. The sheer volume of critiquing and turn around time was what begged for some innovation. I was hoping between the discussion board and Web 2.0 readings and collective experience and wisdom, to collect some ideas that I did not discover on my own.

Regards,

Judi in Charleston, SC

EDUC 760 933 March 4 - April 26, 2013 Instructor: Jim Erbe -> Blue Group Discussion Topics -> Educating the Net Generation -> Re: Educating the Net Generation
by Judith Wisniewski - Thursday, March 21, 2013, 10:14 PM

Vicki:

I am going to answer this question based on some unexpected personal experiences. I, too, noticed that my niece and nephew became mesmerized when we put a video in the VCR. But they were just toddlers at the time.

What was more surprising to me was discussions I had with several of my colleagues in a college art department on the same topic. We had all taught a particular class with the departmental textbook that included skill building activities. The activities came with videos and we all introduced the activities with those videos. And we all compared notes and found that when the videos were projecting in the classroom, the class was mesmerized-- mesmerized in a way they were not when the teacher was speaking.

After noticing and discussing this, one of my colleagues decided to screen capture his computer instruction lectures and upload them to an online course shell. He then laid out his entire fact to face class online. Then, he initiated a class routine that entailed students logging in upon their arrival to class and listening to the lectures with headphones. The rest of the class was handled as a lab/studio with faciliatation and critique by the instructor. Late students were not a disruption because they were not interrupting a lecture.

So this instructor basically took his online course and ported it over to his face to face class, and not the reverse. 

My reaction was, this teacher is teaching a correspondence course! The audacity! The students' reactions were they gave the teacher a 93 satisfaction rating on his student evaluations.

My point here is that the folks responsible for online methods and strategies will adapt again and again and discover what works. And in addition to this example, the students themselves are pretty vocal about making suggestions.

Judi in Charleston, SC

Page:  1  2  3  ()
Skip Navigation

Navigation