Picture of Patricia Richards
Web 2.0 Value
by Patricia Richards - Thursday, July 17, 2014, 7:09 AM

In Module 2 we were instructed to capture Web 2.0 content in Diigo.   Please select one or more of your favorite Web 2.0 tools that you would most likely incorporate in your online classroom and discuss with your selection with your team.  

Answer questions such as:

1.  How does the Web 2.0 tool enhance students knowledge or skills?

2.  How does the Web 2.0 tool improve students interest in teaching content?

3.  How does the Web 2.0 tool stimulate student creativity?

Picture of Jeremiah Stanley
Re: Web 2.0 Value
by Jeremiah Stanley - Thursday, July 17, 2014, 9:05 AM

The web 2.0 Tool I would pic is Jing by TeckSmith it is a screen or web cam capture tool that allows you to create videos.

How does the Web 2.0 tool enhance students knowledge or skills?

• You could use Jing to explain difficult concepts to your students, were traditional written instruction could be difficult for your student to understand.

How does the Web 2.0 tool improve students interest in teaching content?

• You ca take a static process for instructing your student and switch it to a dynamic interactions. By using videos you could reach student that have deferent learning styles and do better by watching instruction rather than reading them.

How does the Web 2.0 tool stimulate student creativity?

• In some online classes all the content is static. For some student they struggle to complete course work when there is no variety in the instructional method. Using Jing to create videos for your student has the possibility to reach student and engage them in a meaningful way.
by Patricia Richards - Friday, July 18, 2014, 6:37 PM

Hi Jeremiah,

Jing is a nice Web 2.0 tool.  I can imagine your students enjoy the variety in your teaching tools.  I know that I too learn well from video instruction.

Patricia

Picture of Jeremiah Stanley
by Jeremiah Stanley - Friday, July 18, 2014, 8:02 PM

Hi Patricia,

I think that variety is a good thing to have in the instructional tool you use. Before I would use a tool I would make sure the tool service a purpose and you are just not using the tool because it is a new thing.

Jeremiah Stanley

by Patricia Richards - Friday, July 18, 2014, 9:00 PM

Great point.  There seem to be some many different online tools.  It seems overwhelming.  You have to be able to differentiate which ones will be most value added.

DC
by David Cook - Friday, July 18, 2014, 4:27 PM

The Web 2.0 that I'm going to choose is different than I mentioned on my Diigo.  I'll focus on Thinglink, a creative way for students to express themselves.  I'd describe it as the 2014 version of posterboard and markers. 

It teaches students to express themselves.  By creating a Thinglink, students can incorporate images, text, sound, and video onto a single canvas.  

My first teaching mentor taught me the value of hooking the kids interest early in the class.  Because the Thinglink can be shared in the medium that students relate to, and because it's more visual than just text, students like the variety, creativity, and ability to 'show off' their finished product. 

Thinglink is, by nature, a creative application.  It's a blank canvas that students can fill with whatever content they feel can communicate their message - image, text, video, sound.  

by Patricia Richards - Friday, July 18, 2014, 9:04 PM

Hi David,

This was another interesting tool.  It seems like it also taps into visual learning.  I imagine your class feel very good about being able to produce a multimedia product of their learning.

Thanks,

Patricia

Picture of Fonda Lewis
by Fonda Lewis - Friday, July 18, 2014, 5:46 PM

A Web 2.0 tool that I feel promotes collaboration is Google Drive along Google Doc.  In an online learning environment students can collaborate with writing and response in live time.  The other feature that is excellent is the "forms" that you can create.  As an instructor you can immediately see the data from your "form".  There is also a presentation tool.  All of these can be shared with others. You can set the "rights" for others to be able to just view or edit. This would foster student creativity as students can determine how they want to present information or store information.

by Patricia Richards - Friday, July 18, 2014, 9:12 PM

Hi Fonda,

Today I was looking up online science fair projects and saw a student from England had shared elements of his project using the Google Doc application.  On another forum I saw students from Australia responding to students in the U.S..  It interesting to see collaboration online going beyond the boundaries of the classroom.

Thanks,

Patricia

Picture of Kerri Freda
by Kerri Freda - Friday, July 18, 2014, 6:17 PM

I would like to use in my classroom such as Glogster, which could definitely be used in social studies to create for a person or event ( I already signed up for the free account and the timeline activity looks great) and Museum Box. I have used “real” history trunks in the past for World War I and II. But it is difficult to find boxes for all the history concepts I am teaching. This site would allow students to create their own boxes, share and view others.  It could also allow students to collaborate and look for items together place in the box, it is almost like a virtual timeline but more with photos and artifacts telling the story. 

by Patricia Richards - Friday, July 18, 2014, 9:18 PM

Hi Frieda,

It was very interesting to see that your choice, Glogster, was very similar toThingLink that David uses in his classroom.  Sometimes it's hard for me to imagine how to apply some of the Web 2.0 tools in the classroom.  I appreciate your example of the "history trunks".  Sounds like it would work well.

Thanks,

Patricia

Picture of Kristen McGowan
by Kristen McGowan - Friday, July 18, 2014, 11:31 PM

For elementary PE students, I think I would incorporate an assignment that would require them to use Wordle.  This particular program would enhance student creativity as they would create their wordle using vocabulary terms and give prominence to words by changing text, format, sizing, coloring, etc to make it their own.  

Wordle allows students to take content and demonstrate their understanding and interpretation by choosing key terms that standout and then manipulate the vocabulary using font size, colors, positioning, etc.  Perhaps the assignment would allow students to choose an article related to a topic so that they had choice in the matter as well.  

Students have the ability to make modifications to the words so that they create a visually appealing product that fits their taste or meets their eye.  

by Patricia Richards - Saturday, July 19, 2014, 8:25 AM

Hi Kristen,

Check out Tagxedo. It similar to Wordle but they have different template shapes.

Patricia

Skip Navigation

Navigation