Picture of Heather Taft
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
by Heather Taft - Monday, June 30, 2014, 1:13 PM

What assumptions exist in the general population about genetically modified organisms (GMOs)?  No research needed, just tell me what you think.

Picture of Amanda Carpenter
Re: Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
by Amanda Carpenter - Tuesday, July 1, 2014, 5:47 PM

Hi Heather!

I hate to say it,but I know very little about GMOs.  I think in some cases, it is a positive thing(research, potential pharmaceuticals that may come along), but there are also other GMOs that I don't necessarily think are necessary.  The one thing I ran into in my research was for rice that was resistant to herbicides-however, what do I know about rice and herbicides??  What are your thoughts?

Picture of Heather Taft
by Heather Taft - Tuesday, July 1, 2014, 8:24 PM

Hi Amanda!

Thanks for being so honest.  The basis for my question is that I'm writing a series of articles now on GMOs and I want to cover all assumptions people have about them.  Some of the bigger assumptions that make GMOs out as bad are that genetically modified foods cause cancer or they will destroy the environment.  My plan is to do a thorough review of the literature and write up all the pros and cons that I find relating to issues I think people may have.  I asked you all what assumptions you think exist in the population to see what else we can come up with that I haven't thought about yet.  Your point about the potential to invent new pharmecuticals is great!  That would be a huge benefit.  I imagine I could write a whole article on that alone.  Do you have friends or family that have a definite opinion on GMOs?  If you do, so you know why they feel the way they do?

Heather - Suffolk, VA

Picture of Amanda Carpenter
by Amanda Carpenter - Thursday, July 3, 2014, 12:32 PM

Honestly, I think in this day and age, people are worried about everything and anything causing cancer.  Which is a good thing and bad thing I guess.  Your article will be very interesting I'm sure!  Unfortunately, I can't help you with any other feedback.  I think my family is pretty much in the same boat as I am in-we just simply don't know that much about them!

Picture of Elizabeth Frisbie
GMO's and Farming
by Elizabeth Frisbie - Wednesday, July 2, 2014, 2:23 PM

Hello Heather, I do not have a whole lot of background knowledge on the subject. However, I did grow up on a farm, and a lot of the income came from crops. I am well aware of my father using different types of GMO seeds that would keep bugs off the crops. In that situation I think it is a beneficial tool. I have heard assumptions about GMO's having different hormones in them that could be harmful to people. I have no sources for that, just rummors!

Picture of Heather Taft
Re: GMO's and Farming
by Heather Taft - Wednesday, July 2, 2014, 3:05 PM

Great Elizabeth!  I have talked to people about GMOs before, but no one has ever been brought up on a farm where they were planted.  How do you, and everyone else, feel about eating a tomato or some rice that was genetically modified?  Would you care?

Heather

Picture of Damon Robinson
by Damon Robinson - Wednesday, July 2, 2014, 10:27 PM

I think the public at large may feel there is something unsafe about creating combinations of plants, animals, bacteria, and viral genes through biotechnology.  Being skeptical myself, I believe organisms that do not occur in nature, may somehow prove unsafe or open the door for misuse.  I often wonder what standards are being used by the FDA to insure public safety.  While in the grocery store, I will pass by the organic section in the meat and produce department.  I guess it is something sterile or modified about the word ÔÇťorganic." I like to make an informed choice before selecting anything I consume.  I always read labels.

Damon/Ohio

Picture of Heather Taft
by Heather Taft - Thursday, July 3, 2014, 6:12 AM

Thanks Damon!  Great answer!  So you are saying that you try to avoid GMOs.  The point about the FDA and safety is important.  I am actually writing that article now.  Basically they place the burden of ensuring safety with the company who is producing the GMO.  To help companies adhere to safety regulations the FDA provides free consultations on GM plants.  A company can get in a lot of trouble for marketing an unsafe item.

Usually when genetically modified foods are made only a single new gene is inserted in the plant.  If you knew more about how GMOs were made (you don't need to go look it up, just curious), do you think that might make you any more comfortable as well?  My thought is like if you are afraid of flying, understanding how the plane works may help make you more comfortable.

Heather

With family in Sycamore IL July 4 weekend
by Pattie Priske - Thursday, July 3, 2014, 5:46 PM

Hi Heather.  I think genetic modification doesn't have to happen in a lab.  I think GMO includes cross pollination and cross breeding of plants and animals, and it doesn't worry me as much as maybe it should.  The other things that come to mind are seedless watermelons and oranges, and tangelos.

I'm trying to categorize your type of question.  Is it probing, clarifying or something else?

I'd love to read your article.

Kind regards,

Pattie

Picture of Heather Taft
by Heather Taft - Friday, July 4, 2014, 7:51 AM

Hi Pattie.  That is true, genetic modification doesn't have to happen in the lab by inserting specific genes.  Your examples make a good point about how genetic changes have been introduced to make food more attractive for humans.  Oranges that are easy to peel are also really nice.  

My question was an analysis question I think.

Heather

Picture of Damon Robinson
by Damon Robinson - Friday, July 4, 2014, 9:54 AM

Heather, I thought your prompt on GMOs was important because it challenges the scientific knowledge base of consumers. It motivated me to research the impact of biotechnology on public consumption of products.

Damon/Ohio

Skip Navigation

Navigation