Picture of Becky Mather
Midwest weather
by Becky Mather - Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 7:52 AM

Wow- is the weather bizarre this spring/summer! We have missed a lot of rain ourselves, since my husband and I are spending 2 weeks or so on our boat in the Sturgeon Bay area. Back home in Iowa, our cabin was hit with 6" of rain last week, washing out bridges on county roads and assuring that the Mississippi will be rising again. No docks, no boats yet.

In our hometown of Muscatine, a small tornado heavily damaged our church and a body shop/car dealership nearby. We've heard that 1 person was hurt- the story even made Green Bay TV this morning. A friend sent us this photo, which the National Weather Service does not consider to be a tornado:

tornado

Becky/Menominee, MI

Picture of Naomi Orlovsky
Re: Midwest weather
by Naomi Orlovsky - Thursday, June 27, 2013, 10:36 AM

I would definitely have been taking cover if I had seen this coming at me!

I hope that we can catch a few days of dry sunshine.  We have been experiencing LOTS of major storms and flooding, which makes for muggy weather and grumpier people.  :-(

Today has brought sunshine, so I'm going to go and soak in it for a while, while I weed my garden.  :-)

Naomi O. @ Wisconsin

Picture of Lori Amsellem
NNTO: Yikes!!
by Lori Amsellem - Thursday, June 27, 2013, 1:29 PM

:O

Picture of Becky Mather
by Becky Mather - Thursday, June 27, 2013, 7:07 PM

Update on the Muscatine tornado- our church suffered severe structural damage, and it will take up to a year to rebuild.  Much more devastating, however, is that a man working in the auto collision center nearby lost his life when that building was hit. Buildings can be rebuilt, but the a human life is not replaceable.

Becky/Sturgeon Bay

Picture of Naomi Orlovsky
by Naomi Orlovsky - Thursday, June 27, 2013, 7:47 PM

Oh!  That is sad.  I'm sorry to hear that.  :-(  I will place his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Naomi O. @ Wisconsin

Family photo
by Stacy Drinkwine Hauser - Thursday, June 27, 2013, 8:17 PM

Just read your post Becky, that's just awful. Thoughts and prayers to his loved ones.

Stacy Drinkwine Hauser

Picture of Sheryl Andreo
by Sheryl Andreo - Friday, June 28, 2013, 7:35 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that, Becky.  Prayers for your community.