Family photo
Re: What's Your Ted Talk?
by Stacy Drinkwine Hauser - Friday, June 28, 2013, 12:20 PM

Hi Jenny,

I too remember that anxious feeling when a student asked me a question to which I didn't know the answer; I remember kind of looking into the future of what would happen next, knowing he would say something to acknowledge who obviously had the upperhand in the classroom, "You don't know? Isn't that your job?" obviously trying to test the new teacher. That thick skin hadn't developed quite yet in that first year. I can relate to feeling of insecurity as I'm sure many of us can. It's great you had that support system to help you with the tricks of turning the question back to the student. I've used this trick as well, which has led to some cool teachable moments and helped to strengthen connections with students; this leads me to your answer to #2.

I bet your students appreciate your effort in making connections with them. I feel these connections are so important and with some students, lead to them wanting to work harder so as not to disappoint you. If they know you honestly care, which it sounds like you do, they will feel that, and maybe push themselves a little harder. I often express to my students how excited I am when I think of a lesson I get to teach the kids that day; they pick up on that energy, just like they pick up on your passion for learning. It sounds like you are doing a great job instilling that love and passion. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your class.

TED talk pick-The MacDaddy of TED talks-Ken Robinson-I am such a fan! He is one of the most popular speakers on education and no wonder! He's funny, brilliant, entertaining, moving,and inspirational. I'm a sucker for a Brittish accent and a great analogy! I love the way he speaks about people who endure what they do vs. people who enjoy what they do. I feel teaching is who I am and I am doing what I love. I encourage you to check out Charles Leadbeater who was the TED talk chosen by Kristen; he too believes we must think more radically about reforming education. Finally, Robinson ties it all up with a beautiful poem making it all come together with how children are "spreading their dreams beneath our feet-we need to tread softly"-how absolutely beautiful. Great TED pick!

#4 Your Ted talk- I haven't heard of Rick Wormlei, but I am SOLD! Thank you so much for including the article. I love it when teachers who write books like they would talk, and not so over-the-top-pretentious-pedagogical jargon that just sounds pretentious! Kristen and I were just talking about giving students the opportunity to revise and those teachers who don't are really doing their students a diservice. I agree we must teach them to be accountable since the goal is to learn the material. Thankfully, at my school, we have begun invitational summer school to practice this accountablility. This summer school invitation is for students who have "failed" the class but are given alternative projects/options to pass the class since retaking the class the next year has proven to be more of a detriment than anything. The summer school course load is determined individually; so, let's say the student really needs to improve research paper writing and grammar-this is his/her course. This is the first year we've done it, so I'm anxious to see the results. I was excited to read what Wormlei was saying because it sounds like our school is headed in the right direction as far as what he says about accountability. I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.

Your Ted talk would be an excellent one to see and sparks so many thoughtful conversations. Great choice!

Stacy Drinkwine Hauser

Skip Navigation

Navigation