Picture of Naomi Orlovsky
Re: Online Safety
by Naomi Orlovsky - Friday, June 28, 2013, 5:55 PM

Jenny,

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm going to have a go with the oppositional discussion response method and play devil's advocate here for a moment.

In one of the Love and Logic workshops I attended, they reinforced the fact that we need to treat our students respectfully and acknowledge that they are intelligent enough to hear us once and understand the rule.  Their example was based around a child who was not doing something that they were asked to do. They reminded us that as long as the child was able to hear the first time, that is all it should take to understand that direction.  (Obviously, this wouldn't necessarily apply to a child with special needs.)  Consequences needed to be reinforced after the first time they were asked to do something.  Their point was that students and teachers should not be required to repeat their directions multiple times and that it was a disservice to the intelligences of both the teacher/parent and the student/child when directions were repeated.  In essence you were taking the responsibility back upon yourself and calling your child unintelligent, when in fact they were not unintelligent, just unmotivated or demonstrating a behavioral issue.

I was also reflecting on the typical student/child response to instructions or conversations that are repeated on a regular basis.  Their typical response to:  "Did you hear me?" would include much head nodding, but no responsive action.  The point Jim and Charles Fay make is a good one.

Shouldn’t once be enough?  Do you think that repetitive reminders may decrease responsible independence and place the responsibility of Internet safety on the shoulders of our teachers instead of the students?  Are we shutting our students off with repetitive reminders?  It is definitely something to ponder.  Perhaps, we don’t need repetitive reminders, but we need one demonstration of the natural consequences that can occur.

The Fay’s are big advocates of natural consequences and how effective they can be in teaching important issues.  Now, obviously we would not wish any of the natural consequences of Internet Safety on any of our students, but perhaps a video that shows the natural consequences may be more effective than just stating what you should and shouldn't do to keep yourself safe.  Do you think this video that demonstrates the consequences of the lack of Internet Safety would be an effective one-time YouTube video to share in your class?

Naomi O. @ Wisconsin

Skip Navigation

Navigation