Picture of Crystal Conklin
Fall Post Card--12th grader
by Crystal Conklin - Thursday, March 16, 2006, 9:06 PM

Okay, I know I'm going to sound like a jerk, but I'm not saying this to be one--it's honestly how I see this.  I think things are being graded on whether they're typed or not as much as on whether they're "good" or not.  Every time something is in sloppy writing, it gets a low score; if it's nicely typed, it gets a high score. 

On this nicely typed one, I'm sitting here wavering between a 2 and a 3.  Then I look at everyone else's scores, and it's being given 3's (what I went with), 4's, and 5's (the 4's and 5's which I totally couldn't justify).  I'll work on positive wording another time--here, let me just try to explain my position. 

A 3 requires reasonably correct spelling, and for a 12th grader, this barely qualifies.  Misspelled "bon fire" and unhyphenated words--okay, I can excuse that.  "Bone fire," and "bit" instead of "pit," "weed-wackier," and "Its" instead of "It's" are too much. 

As per a "3," end punctuation is mostly correct with internal punctuation (especially apostrophes!) often wrong, and MOST words are capitalized correctly.  Shoddy for a 12th grader, I think, but I'm trying to remain with the rubric here. 

There are the problems with grammar and usage that don't distort meaning but also problems that make me have to reread, which might lower the score (One of many examples: "...we all know that by shooting a deer in the ear really will not cause the deer death."). 

I have to give her credit--her paragraphing is good.  But this couldn't possibly raise her score from a three more than all the problems I've listed lowered it. 

Finally, a 3 requires "Moderate editing (a little of this, a little of that)."  Yeah, this piece surely requires that, at least!

Please feel free to explain why I'm totally off my rocker about the scoring bias and help me to see this piece in a different light.  I'm always eager to understand viewpoints that differ from my perceptions!

Picture of Tiffany Dannenmueller
Re: Fall Post Card--12th grader
by Tiffany Dannenmueller - Saturday, August 4, 2007, 2:32 AM

Crystal,

I'm so glad I'm not alone!  I was completely shocked to see the mass of responses falling above a 3. 

I went back over the paper and the rubric once I submitted my score. 

I gave the paper a 2 because like you pointed out many of these errors are not what I'd expect from a 12th grader. 

Personally, I agree with everything you said. 

Picture of Anne Best
Re: Fall Post Card--12th grader
by Anne Best - Wednesday, March 31, 2010, 12:11 PM

Hi Crystal,
I agree totally with your analysis. It seemed to me that some of them were scored too high. I was usually one point lower. For 12th grade these errors should be caught. I had to also read and reread about the deer being shot in the ear. Know that others share your frustration. I wish a teacher would give us their take on the scores and how they would justify it.

Anne