Picture of Brian Kramp
No Longer a Child (8th Grade)
by Brian Kramp - Saturday, March 6, 2010, 9:41 AM

My score for this paper was a 2. The Idea or concept is a simplistic or familiar one and not explored deeply or with any personality. Much of the paper is spent simply stating the obvious. A topic like this is ripe for humor or poetics. A reader should feel they get to know the writer, it would not be a difficult task to inject personality into writing about a topic like this, yet the writer fails to do so.

Picture of Elizabeth Olsen-Rowell
Re: No Longer a Child (8th Grade)
by Elizabeth Olsen-Rowell - Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 9:16 AM

My inital impulse was to score this paper fairly low.  But then it occurred to me that the writer is a English Language Learner and this is not his mothertongue.  That had an impact on my reading of it and I gave him a 4 as it felt he was trying on new and complicated language as well as addressing the topic of Peter Pan Syndrome.  I saw the topic through his eyes and it felt relevant to his experiences here in the USA.

Picture of Pamela Shorr
Re: No Longer a Child (8th Grade)
by Pamela Shorr - Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 4:41 PM

I scored this paper a 4, becauseI, too, felt I was reading the words of an ESL student. The syntax is consistent with a student who is learning English, and the fact that the child is 15 in 8th grade suggests that there are some struggles going on. I believe the ideas are still general, but that the writer is baring his/her soul by suggesting that s/he did not know how to be an adult.