Picture of Sarah steiner
Are Olympic Morning Finals a Big Deal?
by Sarah steiner - Tuesday, June 30, 2009, 1:05 PM

I gave this paper a score of 3 because I felt that, while the author had some interesting ideas, he simply restated them over and over, without trying to provide any sort of real explanation. He states several reasons why swimmers don't want to compete in the morning, yet basically repeats that they need to 'stop complaining' and just do it, since it's good for their sport. When I submitted my score, I was surprised by the number of 5s that it received. What score did you think it deserved? :)

Sarah in Cleveland

Picture of Kristine Johnson-Solsvig
Re: Are Olympic Morning Finals a Big Deal?
by Kristine Johnson-Solsvig - Monday, March 1, 2010, 12:39 PM

I agree that the author reflects thorough knowledge of the topic, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it "striking insight." I felt that the main idea was supported with the details, but I found myself wishing there was more of a journey to the story, more details that would make it less general.
Picture of Anne Best
by Anne Best - Thursday, March 4, 2010, 9:42 PM

I gave it a four because I do think it had strengths. He had a nice handle on the general idea, but he did repeat himself too often. That is why I think he would not need a whole lot of revision. He just needs to delete things he said more than once.
Picture of Sharmane Miller
by Sharmane Miller - Friday, March 5, 2010, 7:04 PM

I also gave this paper a score of four because I thought the writer gave relevant details to enrich his main point.  He seemed to be writing from a fairly good knowledge base of the subject matter.  However, there were times when he simply repeated information and this made it seem as though he was grasping frantically for more to say.  Quite frankly, he could have ended the essay much sooner than he did and it still would have conveyed his ideas well enough to score high for the ideas trait.