Picture of Daniel Smith
No Longer A Child
by Daniel Smith - Tuesday, March 3, 2009, 5:32 AM

I think I would like meeting the author of this writing piece because they seem to be a contemplative and reflective student.  That said, I only gave the paper a score of 3 for "Ideas" because the writer spoke more in generalities without giving examples from their own experiences.  They undoubtedly were drawing upon those experiences as they wrote because they are clearly feeling something about their life, but they don't provide enough details to satisfy the reader's curiosity.

Picture of Agnes Glinski
Re: No Longer A Child
by Agnes Glinski - Friday, March 5, 2010, 10:36 AM

I couldn't agree more. I was thoroughly impressed with this author's ability to reflect maturly about her current stage in life, a task that is seemingly difficult for young teens; however, I also believe that this essay earned a score of 3 due to the lack of specific, thought provoking, unique details. I feel the author concentrated on offering many broad generalities but didn't take the time to dive into any single idea, something I believe strong "idea" writers are able to do. I believe this is definitely a writer who is experimenting with his/her writing and has much promise!