Picture of Stacy Whitcomb
Similar Opinions
by Stacy Whitcomb - Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 9:01 AM

When reading these sample papers, I was surprised to see that I had pretty much the same opinion as others when grading these. I enjoy having the 6-Trait rubric as a way to have this similarity. Some of these essays, mostly the older students, used voice nicely. I hope to read essays like those from my students by working on voice!

Picture of Sharmane Miller
Re: Similar Opinions
by Sharmane Miller - Thursday, February 25, 2010, 8:28 PM

Stacy, I too shared in the feeling of surpise but also the feeling of relief when I realized that I was not alone in my scoring judgement.  I had been practicing for a while on the NWREL site and was off the mark most of the time.  I think I only scored three papers exactly like the experts.  You should have seen me dancing in my kitchen when I did.  My kids were clueless and wanted to know what evoked such a spontaneous and rather ridiculous outburst.  I left them guessing.

I would really like to see what the experts gave these papers.  I guess this is why so many of my colleagues utterly detest having to score their students' writing pieces __ the fear of being off the mark.    I'm hoping that by the end of this course I'll have gained more precision with my scoring so that I can pass it on to the teachers here in the Bahamas.

Sharmane (Nassau)