Picture of Tina Rabideau
Moodle Troubles
by Tina Rabideau - Friday, October 19, 2012, 12:05 AM

I am just curious how you two are doing navigating Moodle.  I usually feel pretty tech savvy, but I am not as I work with Moodle.  I find it busy with so much information all over the place and I think that distracts my thinking.  I wonder how difficult it would be for a younger student or busy adults (like me) to figure it out.  I could not even format my intro text to my satisfaction.  The spacing is weird when it publishes, but looks fine when in edit mode.  Perhaps I am just having an overwhelming week so thought I would ask what you are finding.

~Tina@MN

Picture of Naomi Monson
Re: Moodle Troubles
by Naomi Monson - Friday, October 19, 2012, 1:49 PM

Tina,

I also had problems with formatting my text in Moodle. I could not get a hyperlink within the text and there was no paragraphing in some modes. I found Moodle-auto worked the best.

I also find it distracting to have to scroll down all the time and each module is not on a separate page. I made your comment about using with younger students a part of my reflection that I think it would be difficult for them.
Picture of Tina Rabideau
by Tina Rabideau - Friday, October 19, 2012, 5:50 PM

" I found Moodle-auto worked the best."  I am really going to have to look more at what I actually did because honestly I don't even know what 'Moodle-auto' is.  I remember looking at Moodle a few years back for our company and found the learning curve too steep.  I am now thinking I was definitely right in that.  It looks like I won't be working ahead this weekend; just trying to master the basics.
Dennis O'Connor
by Dennis OConnor - Saturday, October 20, 2012, 10:45 AM

There are ways to design a Moodle page so that each module has it's own separate space. However, most Moodles are laid out the way we are, so I wanted to expose you to the standard look.

You are seeing everything because you are in instructor mode.  You can make the student view much less cluttered.  I just 'grayed' out module 3.  If you switch to student view you'll see how different things look.  

Dennis