Picture of Maria Veronica Solano
personal happiness
by Maria Veronica Solano - Sunday, September 18, 2016, 4:43 PM

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share with you my joy. My daughter (she's 8 years old) yesterday won Gold Medal in a National Math Championship. I'm so happy for her, she worked so hard preparing for the contest. Her grade teacher included the Math prep materials for the whole classroom and all year they have been doing specially cool math problems (a lot of logic, more than just rote math opeartions). A lot of kids from her class made into into the finals. Her teacher really diserves all our gratefulness for the way she helped our children. 

The power of one teacher....

thanks to everyone here for being teachers, each one helping students realize their potential.

Veronica

Picture of Maggie Rouman
Congratulations!!
by Maggie Rouman - Sunday, September 18, 2016, 8:14 PM

That's wonderful Veronica! What do the championship involve? How many students?

Maggie

Picture of Maria Veronica Solano
Math Olympics
by Maria Veronica Solano - Monday, September 19, 2016, 9:03 PM

Hi, Maggie

the OMAPA (Paraguayan Math Olympics) had 41.000 children from 2 to 6th grade participating. There two levels 2-4th, and 5th to 6th grade. They take tests at the school level, then at city level and then at national level (3 exams) in April, June and August. They give away materials for teachers and this year they were able to start a nation-wide Math teacher training. At the high school level, school champions get invited to a Young Talents program, where they receive special Math training on saturdays thoughout the year.  These youths also collaborate in the elementary level competitions.

it's a great program  :)

Veronica

Skip Navigation

Navigation