Picture of Heather Spiva
Mike's Super Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 9:59 PM

Mike,

Great post. Loved the article too-- all great material for learning how to facilitate effective online discussions.

I love "connect," and realize this is basically a life value we can add to any and all situations. But, I also really like "extend" and this probably has to do with my Literature background. 

It's easy to assume an answer to a question, or to give a general and vague response to an idea discussed. But, by taking the question or taking the idea and changing the angle to other points of view (in Lit, this would be like taking a particular scene from a story but trying to interpret it from a different character's POV), you're getting a whole new look at the thing.

"Extend" gives more story. It gives more explanation and dialogue which in turn, actually "connects" the students as well.

-Heather

Picture of Maggie Rouman
Re: Mike's Super Survey
by Maggie Rouman - Thursday, January 28, 2016, 12:49 AM

Well  done, Mike! You provided a link to a very thought-provoking and timely article. Nice job introducing your poll. The variety of questions depending on the experience of the student and/or teacher was a good idea. Have you used polls in your classroom? If so , when? If not, do you have an idea now about how you can implement them?

Maggie@Chicago