Picture of Jennifer Six-Reul
Dann's Quiz
by Jennifer Six-Reul - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 8:23 PM

Dann,

Your quiz was excellent.  Your formatting was consistent, and you started with the directions for each question (i.e., "True or False?").

When you provided distractors in Question 1, they were plausible and similar in length to the correct answer.

Also, I appreciated your use of humor.  I still remember a science teacher I had in seventh grade (40 years ago!) who would always insert a funny choice.  It made the tests in science (not my strong suit) much less stressful. It's a great technique.

Great job.

Jennie in Norwalk, CT

Jessica Estevez
good grading
by Jessica Estevez - Thursday, January 28, 2016, 7:06 AM

Dann, 

I appreciated the video as the learning tool after all the articles we read. Great way to break it up!

I was expecting a 'short' survey in comparison - it set me up for a different expectation. Has subjective language ever been a factor to consider in your producing and delivering assessment? I have been thinking about this more these days. 

I also appreciated the 'not too shabby' grading that I received! 

Jessica

Dann Hurlbert
Re: good grading
by Dann Hurlbert - Friday, January 29, 2016, 6:10 AM

Great question, Jessica.  I think life in general is subjective--but time is objective. If It seems like the "quiz" format handles objective questions/answers better . . . and the more subjective the question, the more time it takes to review.

That's a balance I struggle with.  At the least, I should provide a couple responses that are more subjective, so I can learn a bit more about the student's thought process.

Good note!