Dann Hurlbert
Mike's Survey
by Dann Hurlbert - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 6:09 AM

Hey Mike, the survey worked well.  Adding the reading link within the survey helps keep the students focused, too, so they aren't bouncing around trying to find things.  The one part that I found confusing (though it could just be me) was that there were three questions and only an opportunity to propose one answer.  I was unsure which question the answers applied to.

Peace out,

dann

Picture of Mike Odom
Revising my choice poll: is it clearer?
by Mike Odom - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 9:03 AM

Hi dann,

Thanks for the feedback. I revised the choice poll in light of your comment and pasted the changes below. My initial goal was to make sure that all students and teacher/interns had a question that they could answer, depending on whether and how they participated as facilitators during Week Three in Moodle. Did the revision clarify things for you?

–Mike

Here’s how the choice poll reads now:

Please read “Facilitating Online Discussions” and consider how your facilitation of the online discussion during Module Three used any of the following facilitation strategies discussed in the article: focus, connect, clarify, extend and/or summarize.

Question for students in E-Learning for Educators:

If you used any of those online-facilitation strategies, which one did you find most useful in fostering a robust discussion and creating an online learning community?

If you did not use any of the strategies, which one do you think could have been most helpful to you in developing an even more effective online discussion and community? 

Question for teacher and interns in E-Learning for Educators:

For those who didn’t facilitate an online discussion during Module Three, which of the strategies have you found in your teaching experience to be one of the more reliable ways of promoting lively and productive online discussions?

• focus
  • connect
  • clarify
  • extend
  • summarize

###

Picture of Jennifer Six-Reul
Your revised poll is indeed clear!
by Jennifer Six-Reul - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 8:01 PM

Hi Mike.

I thought your choice poll was well done.  I took it before, and then again after you revised it based on Dann's feedback.  The revised poll was clear, and you wisely offered the two paths within each response group, which was great (you did not make an assumption as to whether your co-learners had or had not applied any of the concepts from the article to their discussion).  Plus, it was a good exercise to briefly revisit and reconsider the previous week's assignment, while still fresh in our minds, with 20/20 hindsight.  

Good job!

Jennie in Norwalk, CT

Dann Hurlbert
Re: Revising my choice poll: is it clearer?
by Dann Hurlbert - Friday, January 29, 2016, 6:12 AM

Hey Mike, the adjustment definitely clarifies.  Well done!