Dann Hurlbert
Heather's Survey
by Dann Hurlbert - Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 6:39 AM

Heather, the structure of your survey worked well.  You were able to provide links to resources . . . and get an idea of when your students preferred to work.  Having gathered that information, how might you use it for an online course?

Picture of Heather Spiva
Re: Heather's Survey
by Heather Spiva - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 10:00 PM

Hi Dann,

Good question. I wasn't really able to go into detail in the description of my choice poll, but I think time of day and one's alertness (and personality) all blend together (along with the four elements that go into making one's online learning optimal) to make the most of ones studies.

By knowing your best time of day for learning and utilizing this information, it would make for a fantastic ice breaker, in beginning a class (bonus) but it would also be something to reinforce to the students as a key piece to making sure every student performs their best.

By knowing your best time of day to study or work or do homework, whether distracted or not, or whether or not you're checking your mail every day, etc. your best "time" will result in your best work, which equals successful learning.

Oh and the choices were a bit tongue-in-cheek. Obviously. Wanted to lighten up the survey which can seem a bit stark.

-Heather

Picture of Jennifer Six-Reul
Great Ice Breaker
by Jennifer Six-Reul - Thursday, January 28, 2016, 12:38 PM

Heather,

Great article and poll.  I agree with you, this would make a great ice breaker and get people thinking about their study schedule.  OK if I steal this idea for later use?

It is interesting to see the responses.  As an evening person, the thought of doing any critical thinking before 9 AM is completely foreign!

Jennie in Norwalk, CT

Picture of Heather Spiva
Re: Great Ice Breaker
by Heather Spiva - Friday, January 29, 2016, 1:56 PM

You can totally steal this!! Please do. :)

I'm the opposite. Don't mind evenings, but if it requires thinking of ANY kind, I'm out. Suppose that doesn't make me an evening person then. Ha.

Thank you!

-Heather

Picture of Maggie Rouman
Re: Heather's Survey
by Maggie Rouman - Thursday, January 28, 2016, 12:33 AM

Heather, great poll!  You provided a link to a very thought- provoking article, along with a thoughtful introduction.  I liked how I was able to see everyone's responses at the end. It was interesting that we were all over the map when it came to our optimal working time. How would you use the results of your poll if you were an instructor?

~Maggie@Chicago