Picture of Catharine Carbaugh
Blubbr as a Quiz
by Catharine Carbaugh - Monday, January 25, 2016, 7:16 PM

Hi Jenna,

I have never used Blubbr before. I was wondering if you could tell me more about it. For example, I missed one the questions on purpose to see if I would have to rewatch the video and try the question again. I didn't, but is that an option? I was wondering in which ways you have used Blubbr. I can see how it would be a way to check that students are focusing on a particular video, but I wouldn't want to do that with every video. Does every question have to come with a video? Are there any other features for question types?

I know this was a practice with making quizzes, but to give constructive feedback, I wouldn't make all of the answers the same (both a and b or a, b, and c). 

Thanks for sharing a new tool,
Kate

Picture of Jennifer Richardson
Re: Blubbr as a Quiz
by Jennifer Richardson - Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 5:16 PM

Hi, Kate!  Actually, it's Jenn.  I made a typo in my own name!  

I don't really know anything about Blubbr, that's why I chose to try it out. This is the first time I have used it. It is very limited, and there don't seem to be any options.  All you can do is set the video segment and ask 4 option multiple choice questions.  You can't even see how people do on the quiz.  You might be able to if you officially share it with people? 

The whole thing is based on using youtube videos, so you need a video. I'm glad that I tried it out, but I don't know if I will be using it with students.  They would have to screen shot their scores to turn in to me, which might be tricky.  Actually, I take that back.  I may try it out, just to see how it goes.  My poor students are used to being guinea pigs, I am always trying new stuff.  If I do try it, I will report back.

As for the questions, thanks for the feedback.  I didn't really like the questions, but I wanted to do one per segment, just to see how that worked, and since you have to have 4 options I was kind of grasping at straws.  Also, sometimes I like to have "all of the above" for emphasis. 

I have used Google forms for quizzes, which works pretty well.  I have also used Socrative, where students can answer using computers or mobile devices. It can be deployed as a quiz or a game. Kahoot is a really fun quiz game that students play with mobile devices. These all have multiple options for question types, etc., and are better than Blubbr in most instances.

Also, Blendspace by TES is a really cool site. You can place videos, audio, text, images and websites in a "lesson" and create a quiz in the same lesson.

Jenn

Picture of Catharine Carbaugh
by Catharine Carbaugh - Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 6:49 PM

Thanks for the info Jenna! My middle schoolers love Kahoot too. I can see how Blubbr could have potential, so hopefully they tweak it in the future.

Kate

Jessica Estevez
So many options
by Jessica Estevez - Tuesday, January 26, 2016, 10:39 PM

Jenn, 

I enjoyed the interactive component of the quiz. I think the breaking up of the segments was also helpful and kept me more focused. 

I am was most stressed out about the time component and how I couldn't pause the video to go to the bathroom or respond to my kid hurting falling! What is the quiz making tool you most favor?

Jessica

Picture of Marni Eschman
by Marni Eschman - Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 11:05 AM

Hi Jenn,

I liked the video format of this quiz.  I am not aware of Blubbr so that was also something new for me.  Student's seem to like visuals so that is a great way to share information.  I liked the attention holding clips.  I can imagine it does take some time to set up the Youtube clips as well as construct the questions.  You mentioned some other apps or e-learning quizzes in your post that I am interested in looking up.  

Marni

Picture of Maggie Rouman
Great choice!
by Maggie Rouman - Thursday, January 28, 2016, 12:19 AM

Great choice for a quiz. Jenn! The visual component peaked my interest! The choices of a or b, or a and c I might be confusing for students. The timer made me nervous, but I loved that I got points for my correct responses. A great way to add gamification to a quiz... and sutdents could probably take the quiz again to see if they could improve their score. Thanks for sharing!

Maggie@Chicago

Skip Navigation

Navigation