Picture of Sheilah Smith
I took Lisa's Quiz and I liked it
by Sheilah Smith - Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 4:18 PM

Lisa,

I appreciate your willingness to be first and provide a terrific example for the rest of us. I enjoyed taking your quiz and the variety of question responses used. I see where Moodle Quizes might be an online class on its own. I use Google Forms for quizzes and Flubaroo for the self grading option. Have you used Moodle before or any other web-based quiz/survey generator?

Sheilah

Picture of Lisa Fitzgerald
Re: I took Lisa's Quiz and I liked it
by Lisa Fitzgerald - Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 11:46 AM

Hi Sheilah,

I can't thank you enough for your complimenting my quiz.  I have never used Moodle or any other kind of online quiz/test.  I actually really struggled with creating the questions because I'm much more used asking my studets to respond in short-answer or essay form.  After having created the quiz though, I can really see the benefits it can have: making sure that students are grasping the key elements of a text, assessing their reading skills, and obtaining a deeper understanding of their progess.

Thanks for the heads-ups about Google Forms and Flubaroo--I'll definitely have to check those out.

Lisa

Picture of Sharon Suchla
by Sharon Suchla - Thursday, May 28, 2015, 11:42 AM

Sheilah:

I agree!  I think I do need a class just on Moodle Quizzes!!!

Sharon

Yellowstone
by Sheri Perez - Saturday, May 30, 2015, 12:35 AM

Hi Lisa and Sheilah,

I hope you don't mind me jumping into your conversation, but I had an urge to add my two cents.

I have written quizzes on five different learning management systems, Moodle now makes six and this was by far the most difficult quiz to write.  Some systems are more intuative and the tools are grouped together as you go making the process much easier.  If your school has adopted a LMS or CMS, you may find the quiz writing process to be easier.  Hang in there! :)

Sheri

Cynthia Koons, RDH, MBA
by Cynthia Koons - Saturday, May 30, 2015, 10:28 AM

Sheri,

I am learning Canvas at my college and it does seems to be a little easier than Moodle.

Cyndy

Picture of Lisa Fitzgerald
by Lisa Fitzgerald - Saturday, May 30, 2015, 11:04 AM

Sheri,

Thanks a million for the feedback--it's so helpful.  My campus is currently using Moodle, and I'm teaching online for the first time in the fall.  But, we're supposedly switching over to Canvas in the next year or two, so I'm thinking that I'll be watching a lot of Lynda videos and be working toward understanding how to use Canvas. I figure why learn Moodle if we're switching over soon.

Yellowstone
Re: I use Canvas
by Sheri Perez - Saturday, May 30, 2015, 1:16 PM

I've been using Canvas for two years and I like the system.

I do not use the Canvas quiz tool because I have my students use the publisher's online system for quizzes and problem sets.  (My students need to manipulate graphs in economics and that cannot be replicated in Canvas.)  However, I know the political science and history instructors in my department use Canvas for quizzes and  they like it.  Canvas has a tool that allows you to upload the test bank for your book so you don't have to write each question yourself; that may be a useful starting point for your courses.

If you start dabbling in Canvas this summer, I would be happy to help if you get stuck.

Sheri